WHAT YOU NEED.
- White malt vinegar
- Baking soda
- A small empty bottle or jar
- Red food coloring
- Washing up liquid
- A shallow basin or tray
1. Cover your jar with clay.
2. Place your volcano (jar) in the middle of the basin and fill about one third full with water.
3. Add a few drops of red food coloring to color the lava.
4. Add a big squirt of washing up liquid and stir.
5. Next add a heaped teaspoon of baking soda and mix everything up;
6. And to make the volcano erupt add some vinegar, I usually fill mine almost to the top and then stand well back… there it goes (volcano erupts).
And The Science Bit.
Well you all know now that when we mix vinegar and baking soda they create a gas called carbon dioxide. This gas mixes with the washing up liquid to make all the foamy lava and the red food coloring gives it just the right look!